UX Case Studies

Enterprise Software

Wells Fargo | 2018

Wells Fargo needed to replace a highly manual, inefficient process for deploying advertisements onto their ATMs.

I began by scheduling several interviews with the Product Manager (PM), so I could learn more about her users and their pain points with the existing system. Based on those discussions, I prepared a needs analysis that documented all existing and future user roles, and what each ultimately needs from the system…

I get better data from personal interviews -- over focus groups or big conference calls -- because there are so many social effects that can bias people’s responses in a group setting. Plus, it helps me tell the difference between the big issues -- things I hear many times -- and ones that might only reflect a single person or a vocal minority.

From there, I started building a prototype using Sketch and InVision. The PM and I went through many iterations of the user flows and page layouts, adding detail with each round of feedback. Once we’d fleshed out all of the flows we wanted to test, I exported the screens to InVision and started building a clickable prototype…

When conducting user testing in the wild, small sample sizes limit the kinds of conclusions you can draw from the results. If you test with ten people and one of them encounters a problem, it does not necessarily follow that 10% of your users will have the same problem. Maybe it’s more like one in a thousand, but you just happened to get that one person in your sample.

That’s why I always tabulate my results and prioritize them based on frequency. If more than half of my participants encounter a problem, then it definitely needs to be addressed. Anything less, we’ll make improvements as time permits. If only one person reports a problem, I don’t waste time or introduce complexity trying to “fix” it.

After revising the design, I started breaking the prototype down into reusable elements: page layouts, navigation, typography, buttons, input fields, etc. I wanted to create a UI pattern library that the PM and engineers could use to create whatever content they needed. I chose Confluence as the platform, because it integrates easily with Jira and has great collaboration features.

The software is still in development, but taking the time to do all of this UX work up front has laid a solid foundation for the engineering team and provided a valuable tool for both Product and Design moving forward.

Next Case Study: Inventory Management